Confusion and Anger Follow Tainted Evidence in Failed B.C. Murder Case

Confusion and Anger Follow Tainted Evidence in Failed B.C. Murder Case

The family of Vanessa Terry says it is struggling with anger, grief and confusion after Frederick Charlie was acquitted of second-degree murder in connection with her 2024 death near Agassiz, British Columbia.

Gena Edwards, president of the BC Native Women’s Association, said there were audible gasps in the Chilliwack courtroom when the acquittal was announced. She described the moment as deeply painful as Terry’s relatives cried before leaving the court.

Charlie was acquitted on July 20 after the Crown presented no evidence at trial. The prosecution’s case had been severely weakened when a B.C. Supreme Court judge ruled that Charlie’s confession and other statements could not be admitted as evidence.

Vanessa Terry Found Dead on Seabird Island First Nation

Terry, 33, was discovered dead inside her home on the Seabird Island First Nation reserve early on April 6, 2024, after paramedics responded to a report of an unresponsive woman.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team took over the investigation.

Police obtained surveillance footage from a nearby property showing seven people entering or leaving Terry’s residence between approximately 2 p.m. on April 5 and 3 a.m. on April 6.

Investigators were able to identify six people. The seventh individual was referred to as “Male #1,” whom prosecutors believed was Charlie.

Charlie was arrested in June 2024 and later charged with second-degree murder.

Judge Rules Statements Were Obtained Under Oppressive Conditions

The prosecution suffered a major setback when Justice Palbinder Shergill excluded Charlie’s statements to police.

The judge found that Charlie experienced a series of oppressive and humiliating conditions after being taken into custody at the Chilliwack RCMP detachment.

According to the ruling, Charlie was required to change clothes in front of officers without underwear and was placed in a cold, damp cell with insufficient bedding. He was initially denied a blanket and was later given a sweater following his first interview.

Investigators also placed Charlie in a cell with an undercover officer posing as another prisoner.

That officer deliberately urinated on himself while lying near Charlie. Charlie was later moved to another cell containing a second undercover operative.

The judge criticized the tactic, describing the circumstances surrounding the transfer as bizarre and finding that the undercover operation worsened the unpleasant conditions Charlie was already experiencing.

As a result, Charlie’s confession and other statements were ruled inadmissible.

Crown Left With No Evidence to Present

Once Charlie’s statements were excluded, the Crown told the court it would not call any evidence, resulting in his acquittal.

Angela Smith, Terry’s stepmother, said the decision left the family devastated.

Smith, who said she raised Terry from the age of five, questioned why prosecutors had no other evidence available and wondered why the charges were not stayed so the case could potentially be revived later.

She said the family had believed for months that prosecutors had a strong case.

Terry’s sister, Mia Roberts, also said the family had initially been confident about the prosecution before learning shortly before trial that important evidence had been excluded.

Roberts said the sudden development was extremely upsetting and left relatives feeling they had been given false hope about the strength of the case.

B.C. Prosecution Service Reviewing Decision

The B.C. Prosecution Service said the court’s ruling concerning the admissibility of evidence is under review.

The deadline for filing an appeal remains open until August 19.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has also said it is reviewing the factors that resulted in Charlie’s statements being excluded.

Sgt. Freda Fong, a spokesperson for IHIT, said investigators were disappointed with the ruling and were consulting Crown counsel about whether an appeal would be viable.

She added that investigators could not discuss specific details of the court’s findings because doing so could potentially affect any appeal.

Charlie did not respond to a request for comment submitted through his defence lawyer.

Charlie Had Previous Criminal Convictions

The second-degree murder accusation came against the background of Charlie’s previous criminal history.

His record included a 2022 assault conviction involving intimate partner violence. He had also previously been convicted of sexual interference involving a person under the age of 16 and uttering threats in 2012.

When the murder charge was originally announced, IHIT expressed condolences to Terry’s relatives and community and highlighted the serious and long-lasting impact of intimate partner violence on families.

Family Remembers Vanessa Terry as Loving and Generous

Terry’s relatives described her as compassionate, friendly and devoted to helping others.

Smith said Terry loved children, cared for people around her and could easily make friends.

Terina Roberts, another of Terry’s sisters, described Vanessa as being like a second mother to her.

She said she was the last person known to have spoken with Terry and believed her sister wanted to leave her relationship with Charlie and return home.

Terina Roberts recalled the acquittal hearing as brief and confusing, saying the family simply watched Charlie leave after prosecutors announced they would present no evidence.

She remembered Terry as a kind and forgiving person who remained caring even during disagreements.

Indigenous Women’s Advocate Says Family Deserves Answers

Edwards said she supported Terry’s relatives throughout the court proceedings and attended the acquittal.

She emphasized that Terry was a mother who left children behind and said her death should be treated with the same seriousness and concern as any other person’s.

Terry’s relatives now say they are fearful and frustrated while searching for another way to pursue answers.

Smith said she does not want to simply let the matter end and hopes there may still be another avenue available to the family.

The acquittal of Frederick Charlie has left Vanessa Terry’s family seeking answers after key statements were excluded because of the conditions and investigative tactics used during his detention.

With the B.C. Prosecution Service reviewing the ruling and the appeal period remaining open until August 19, the legal case may not yet be completely finished. Meanwhile, Terry’s relatives continue to mourn a woman they remember as caring, generous and deeply devoted to her family.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *